Art, not only uses imagination while creating aesthetic objects or environments, but also carries enthusiasm that awakens the joy of living in people’s hearts. Art inspires people to express their feelings and thoughts regardless of race, culture and religion. The unique energy of art contributes to world peace greatly. Therefore, societies should always participate in all kinds of art organizations and events with dedication and perseverance in order to keep the connective and inspiring spirit of art alive. The number of art events and organizations that take place in a society is considered one of the best indicators to gain insight to its level of cultural development and its commitment to endorse the rights to freedom of expression and speech. A major international art event also carries the potential to provide the host city or country with global recognition while contributing to economic development. In fact, this has been our principal motive when we embarked on the road of organizing the first international Biennial of Izmir. With the participation of around 434 artists from 54 countries, we now hope to prove the capacity and potential of Izmir to host a worldwide event while providing our share of support in promoting Izmir’s unique cultural, historical and natural richness to the world. Artists are the best examples of representing different ideas and thoughts in the same environment without being offensive to each other. The triumph of art is that black and white can co-exist. Artists are the symbols of respect to each other’s existence, the best examples of how to connect with love. The language of art is constructive and restorative. In its expression, there is no destruction, anger or violence; on the contrary, there is so much hope, joy and love.
Seba Gallery of Art together with the jury and scientific committee have dedicated themselves to bring together these respectable artists from many different cultures and countries who skilfully reveal their artistic identities with their works.
Our ultimate aim is to turn Izmir into a world-renown city of art and culture. We truly hope that the 2. International Izmir Art Biennial will help us to achieve this and be the first of many to come in the future.
We thank everyone for their generous and sincere support in making this event possible.
2.International Izmir Art Biennial
THE JURY 2013 izmir art biennial jury 1. Associate Professor Ahmet İMANÇER - Ege University Associate Dean of Faculty of Communication, head of the main department of photography and graphics.
2. Professor Aneh Mohammad TATARI – Artist- Tehran university
3. Professor emeritus Arthur P. BOURGEOIS - Governors State University in Art history department.
4. Professor Dennis P. McCANN – Artist
5. Fahri SEVER - 9 Eylül University Buca Faculty of Education, Department of Painting.
6. Professor Hani Mahmoud FAISAL - Cairo University , Department of Sculpture.
7. Professor Hatice BENGİSU - Balıkesir University Dean of Faculty of Fine Arts.
8. Hatice KUMBARACI GÜRSÖZ - Ankara representative of Bosphorus Art Newspaper and President of Ankara Branch of Alumni Association of State Academy of Fine Arts.
9. Professor İbrahim BOZKUŞ - 9 Eylül University Buca Faculty of Education,Retirement Head of Department of Art Education (2000)
10. Professor İnci KUYULU ERSOY - Ege University Department of History of Art, head of the Department of Western Art and Contemporary Arts.
11. Associate Professor Javier CHAVIRA - Governors State University.Art Program Coordinator and Department of Painting
12. Professor Krassimir DOBREV - National Art Academy in Sofia, Cyril and Methodius University in Veliko Tarnovo, department of Scenography, Graphic Design and Photography, Church painting, Clothing design.
13. Lecturer Mete SEZGİN - 9 Eylül University Buca Faculty of Education, Department of Painting.
14. Professor Nuray YILMAZ - 9 Eylül University Faculty of Fine Arts Head of Department of Traditional Turkish Arts
15. Seba UĞURTAN – Head of the Biennail, Artist, Seba Art Gallery
16. Assistant Professor Sevim ARSLAN - Marmara University, Faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Turkish Traditional Handıcrafts
17. Associate Professor Turan ENGİNOĞLU - 9 Eylül University Buca Faculty of Education, Department of Painting.
18. Professor Ulufer TEKER - 9 Eylül University faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Graphic .
19. Ümit GEZGİN – Editor, Art Gazette Bosphorus